The First Romanian School (Romanian: Prima scoala romaneasca) is located on the grounds of the 16th-century church of St. Nicholas, itself located in the historic district of Șchei, now part of the city of Brașov.
It is also home to the first Romanian Bible, and what can be loosely described as the first school magazine. The next door museum houses a variety of first Romanian books and the first printing press.
Vasile Oltean is both the caretaker and the guide, and has spent the last 40 years of his life working at the First Romanian School – as a priest for the last six years, and a teacher and pupil before that.
The First Romanian School – builded in 1495, reconstructed in 1760
The values of the Romanian spirituality have been created long time ago in the old district of Braşov called Scheii Braşovului. The oldest memories and remains remember of the getae-dacians village that existed two thousands years ago on the spot known today as “Salmon’s Rocks” (“Pietrele lui Solomon”).
The archeology (not very effective in the area) and the customs of the “Youngsters of Braşov” (Junii braşoveni), also less emphasized, still stay as proves for the continuity of the old Romanian civilization in the area.
During the medieval era, the Romanians from Scitei helped by the voivodes over the mountains, built the church and the school andfoundecl a center of resistance and spirituality aimed tojace the time and the history.
The residents of Schei use to be important andpowerful merchants, operating their trade from Moldova and Muntenia (Wallachia) to Balkans, Levant and Syria and Egypt. They have protected the religious and education center by their donations and support. The center became today the Museum Complex of Schei of Braşov which shelters around 4,000 old books, 30,000 historic documenls andmany others exhibits showing the true history of this region.
Professor Priest Vasile OLTEAN (wikipedia.org and primascoalaromaneasca.ro)
The First Romanian School:
Piata Unirii nr.2-3, Brasov Romania
Tel.: 0268/511.411, 0722.435.134
Photo Gallery First Romanian School